Changes To Our Routine - Tyki & More Tear Downs

BIG NEWS! After numerous conversations that all started with, "Should we keep Tyki?" we decided to adopt him! It's exciting...and terrifying. Tybee has been a single dog her whole 11 years and I worry how she will feel with a permanent addition to her life. But so far she seems to like him alright. And they are super cute together.

Other news - since we started on the RV teardown it's been just me and Jerud working on it. But we got some help. Our good friend Andrew came up for the holiday and we put him to work. He's awesome - spending his days off helping us tear apart the trailer. It's made a big difference having him around and we got a lot done.

I mentioned in the previous post that we thought we could just push the slide into the RV enough to get the last piece of siding off the RV (and eventually another piece to go back on). Turned out it's not so simple. The entire slide had to come off. Jerud had to build temporary legs to brace the slide up while it was being pull out from the RV because of the weight of the slide. Our storage unit neighbor came and helped out. After the slide was all unscrewed and disconnected from the main body, the guys pulled it out and quickly set it on saw horses. With that done the last piece of siding finally came off!

After the slide was off, Andrew and I worked on taking the roof apart.

 
 

While Andrew and I were on the roof, Jerud worked on removing the stove, dinette, carpet and linoleum flooring.

 
Don't let that face fool you, he didn't help!

Don't let that face fool you, he didn't help!

 

Then we split up again - Andrew attacked the bedroom and bathroom while Jerud and I removed the kitchen cabinets.

 
 
 
 

Jerud was brave enough to teach me how to use a power tool other than the drill. The Sawzall. I found it to be super fun but scary. I kept picturing the tool flying out of my hand and cutting off my fingers! Tybee also hates the sound the Sawzall makes. She'd lay on the couch and shake non-stop. At one point I put her in the car because she was so miserable.

Removing the rotten walls in the kitchen.

Removing the rotten walls in the kitchen.

Andrew kept busy in the front of the RV removing the toilet, shower, the bed and walls.

 
 

There's no need for the black water tank since we'll have a composting toilet. This will give us more usable space under the RV. We may add an additional fresh water tank since we plan to boondock the majority of the time.

 
Jerud and Andrew removing the black water tank.

Jerud and Andrew removing the black water tank.

 

With the kitchen cabinets out of the way, we were able to cut out the rotten sections of subfloor.

 
 

After the subfloor was removed, we realized the insulation and belly wrap underneath were wet. We tossed out all the wet insulation and placed a construction light underneath the RV while we were working to help dry it out. The floor joists weren't damaged so we don't have to replace those, although we may have to add support to sections of it. For now we're just going to leave the floor alone to dry.